Digital Mammography at HGH
A digital mammogram is an x-ray exam of the breast captured in digital format. Hamilton General Hospital performs screening mammograms which are used to detect and evaluate breast changes. Annual screening mammograms can detect cancer when it is too small to be felt by a woman or her doctor. Early detection greatly improves a woman's chance for successful treatment.
Hamilton General Hospital is an
FDA certified mammogram facility.
Most major health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, have begun to cover the entire cost of an annual mammogram as a part of women's wellness for women over 40. We are also partnered with Moncrief Cancer Institute who provide mammography services for non-insured and under-insured patients.
Contact your physician to schedule a mammogram today.
Tips for having a mammogram
- Try to schedule your exam the week following your menstrual cycle, if you have one.
- Our technologist will obtain your previous mammogram films before scheduling your exam.
- You will be required to undress above the waist, please dress accordingly.
- Remove deodorant or antiperspirant prior to your exam. Feel free to bring it to apply after the exam.
What to expect during your mammogram
- Our technologist will take at least 2 images of each breast.
- In order to get the most accurate images, your breasts will be compressed. While this can be uncomfortable, it only lasts a matter of seconds.
- Our technologist is sensitive to your needs and will make you as comfortable as possible during the exam.
- The whole procedure takes about 30 minutes.
- All mammogram facilities are now required to send your results to you within 30 days.